Caring for the batteries of two-way radios is crucial because these devices depend so much on the power of the batteries to operate. Sometimes, individuals find their two way radios running out of power simply because they are not conscious that their batteries don’t have any power anymore. People use radios in various work shifts and do not care or inspect their radios regularly. Uncared-for batteries lead to radio failure and this guide will instruct you how to figure out batteries and take good care of them:
1. Manufacturers like Motorola print a digit code at the front of the battery. A 3-digit code is often printed by Motorola. The first digit signifies the year and the 2nd and 3rd digits represent the week of the year in which the battery was built. If the used battery is already older than 18 months, then a replacement is necessary.
2. Always charge your battery overnight or prior to your work shift. This powers up the battery and increases your talk time.
3. If you use Nickel Cadmium or Nickel Metal Hydride batteries, charge them for 14-16 hours.
4. If your batteries are Polymer or Lithium-ion, charging them for another 1-2 hours after the charger light has already turned green, is a must.
5. New batteries that are non-initialized must be saved in a cool, dry environment. This eliminates capacity loss and cycle life decrease. You will be surprised that Nickel Cadmium batteries can be saved for up to 2 years, while Lithium-ion Polymer and Nickel Metal Hydride can be stored for up to 18 months.
6. If you want to get rid of a used battery for an extended period of time, ensure that it has discharged over 50% of its capacity. After removing the battery, keep it in a cool, dry place.
7. A Lithium-ion battery can be charged at any time. New batteries should only be charged after it has fully been discharged.
8. Battery life is decreased if you use the charge of the battery for continuous charging.
9. At all times, keep spare batteries in stock, especially if you operate two-way radios for longer periods.
10. Batteries that were stocked for more than two months should be initially charged before using.
11. Many individuals recommend buying branded batteries that are distinct to the system-brand because such batteries are optimized for their systems.
12. Never ever charge a battery when it is not needed. If you recharge batteries that are not completely discharged (see # 7 above), you will end up reducing their life.
These are a few of the things that you have to understand with regards to batteries of two-way radios. And, know that your batteries will last for around 18 months if you would be taking good care of them.